Wednesday, November 19, 2008

christmas knitting

I do it to myself every year (or at least every year since I started knitting!). I tell myself to pick just a couple of people to knit gifts for because I KNOW I will not have time/inclination to finish them all (I start early, but I'm sorry - I'm just not the type of person who can start Christmas gift knitting in April...or even August...).

And then the crunch of the holidays gets closer and I start coming up with more gifts to knit because it would be a nice gesture, or I find a pattern and/or yarn that I know a certain recipient would love, or I just am plain insane.

I only planned two knitted gifts this Christmas: one for my MIL (I KNOW) and one for my boss. Then when I found out I'd be seeing my bestie January 1 who I haven't seen in years, I decided to go on a knitting frenzy for her (OK, technically not Christmas knitting, just ZOMGIMSOEXCITEDTOSEEYOUHEREHAVESOMEKNITTING-knitting, but it still falls into that time frame). So that is a few more projects. And then I got to thinking about other folks I could knit stuff for - a co-worker who is awfully nice and other various family members.

Of course add to this the various projects I have going strong for myself (on the needles and those I have planned - a couple of which I'd like to have done before the mini-holiday to see aforementioned BFF, so again, a time crunch).

I'm going to try to make an effort to get stuff done in a prioritized manner. I have a couple gifts done and a couple partially done and then we'll go from there. But it was making me laugh (hysterically - and I mean hysterically...it's that laugh that falls somewhere between maniacal laughing and crying) last night that I do this Every. Single. Year. When will I learn?

2 comments:

Mari said...

Good luck!

I am terrible about Christmas knitting. I still haven't my in laws blanket I started before last Christmas!

TheBlackSheep said...

Um, yeah, I started Christmas knitting in Jan. and I'm still in a frenzy. Granted the knitting is done, but I have 5000 other things to do and no time. I feel like a chicken with my head cut off.

Did anyone mention to you that handwarmers are a good quick gift? :P