Friday, January 15, 2010

over-achiever

I started doing some knitting for myself (some socks, some mittens, to start with) because I was so burnt out from Christmas knitting (do y'know that I didn't knit for about 3 days after Xmas?).

Then the over-achiever in me took over and I decided I needed to knit some favors to give to the kids coming to my son's birthday party on the 23rd. I was going to do a little critter (I found a cute little snail), but decided on cupcakes instead. Since I'm making a cake (shaped like Lightening McQueen, no less - it will be an adventure and I can blame that over-achiever again for this one), my cupcake stand will now be put to use holding knit cupcakes and when the kids leave they each can take one.

Of course, the stand holds 13, so I'm going to make 13 even though there are only 6 kids that will be there. I'm going to send one to a friend as a thank-you, try to pawn a couple off on some other guests (who don't have kids) and then maybe give a couple of a friend's children who aren't able to make it to the party.

Thankfully these cupcakes are freaking adorable and quick knits. Additionally, they are all going to be different from each other, so that keeps things interesting. I've got 6 bottoms and 2 tops done so far. The kiddo is staying with my mom and dad this weekend, so I should be able to finish cranking them out by the end of it. I can then spend the week decorating them, stuffing them, and seaming them.

Oh, and I'm knitting a felted birthday crown for the birthday boy!

I have to finish up a birthday present too (the knitting is done, it just needs to be stuffed and seamed.

3 comments:

TheBlackSheep said...

You are an over-achiever! I'd not be able to do a b-day party without the knits, let alone with them! Go You!

Mari said...

Wow! What a great idea. :) I love those cute little knit cupcakes.

ladyrook said...

It sounds like it's going to be a wonderful party Tara!